RENO–University of Nevada, Reno’s Extension this week announced a series of courses for beginning farmers and ranchers. The Small-Acreage Certification Program series is offered by Zoom on Tuesdays Jan. 26 through Feb. 23 from 6-8 p.m.
In addition to sharing lessons incorporating knowledge and experience from Nevada’s established small farmers and University experts, the course will include a field trip to small-acreage farms and ranches.
Participants who complete the course will receive a Small-Acreage Level 1 Certification.
The cost to attend is $60. Registration is online at https://nevada.formstack.com/forms/btr_2022.
Course topics include:
- Jan. 26: Overview of small-acreage production: including identifying resources, understanding jurisdictions and setting goals.
- Feb. 2: Understanding livestock production: focusing on livestock needs and requirements, including the Quality Assurance Program, animal health considerations, and meat versus other animal products (eggs; wool; dairy; and bees, honey and wax).
- Feb. 9: Understanding crops and soil: focusing on plant needs and how to determine the best plants for a given land space. This course will include an overview of how plants grow, nutrients and day length requirements, different crop requirements, and soil basics.
- Feb. 16: Small-acreage markets, from specialty crops to hay and livestock, and how to market your products: focusing on marketing options, including farm stands, direct market, sale yards, the NV Grow Program, social media and USDA versus Custom Exempt.
- Feb. 23: Farm financial management in the 21st century: focusing on financially building farms, building business skills and assets, estate planning, and balance and cash flow basics. University students will provide financial analysis of different agricultural ventures.
- April 9 (southern Nevada) and April 23 (northern Nevada): Field trips to tour small-acreage farms and ranches. Participants can choose which one of the two tours they wish to take, according to their location and interests.