CARSON CITY – Despite successfully leading Nevada’s Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation (DETR) through the launch of the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program, Interim Director Heather Korbulic has opted to transition back to her role leading the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange.
According to a statement from the governor’s office, “While Director Korbulic has made great strides and enjoyed serving in this interim role, she requested the transition due to threats to her personal safety.”
Sisolak added, “Heather’s coordinated project management experience has benefited the department and the dedicated staff who work tirelessly to connect Nevadans to unemployment benefits. I am so grateful to her for taking on this challenging project to make sure Nevadans were able to access their benefits.”
In the last seven weeks, DETR has:
- worked through more than 131,000 backlogged unemployment claims,
- hired new employees to assist the Employment Security Division,
- increased call center capacity by implementing a cloud-based phone system,
- launched the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation to assist those who have exhausted regular UI claims,
- launched the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program to cover independent contractors, gig workers and others who aren’t covered by traditional UI,
- And continued to building strong relationships with state agencies to support the department’s efforts.
DETR staff will continue to connect claimants to benefits. An interim director will be determined within the next week.